If you’re running a small business, chances are, you’re operating in a very crowded marketplace. There may be 10, 20 even 100 other businesses that offer similar products/services right in your own backyard. And if you’re operating the type of company that competes in the global marketplace, where people overseas are willing to work for pennies on the dollar, things get even more complicated, really, really fast.
That’s why it’s absolutely mission critical to identify and articulate your company differentiators. If you don’t, the only thing you’ll be able to compete on is price. And the truth is, there will always, always be someone that’s willing to work for less than you are—so that’s a losing battle.
Before we dig into this topic any deeper, please know this post can be consumed in two ways: You can keep reading or you can watch this unedited video on the topic. Take your pick.
Here are 4 Ways To Differentiate Your Company In A Crowded Market:
1. Create A Unique Branded System (UBS).
You have a process that you go through with every new client. You may not have actually thought it through and you may not be marketing it, but you do have a specific way of doing things that is unique to you. When you brand your process, you instantly create a powerful differentiator. That’s why notable figures like Dave Ramsey, Tony Robbins and Franklin Covey do it shamelessly. Take a look:
- Dave Ramsey: Dave helps people manage their money and get out of debt by walking them through the 7 steps he’s come up with. It’s possible that a lot of the information he shares is very similar to what his competitors are sharing. But because he’s given his process a name and has branded it, he’s standing out in the marketplace. His unique branded system is called “The 7 Baby Steps To Financial Peace.”
- Tony Robbins: In one of his 3 day events, Tony walks conference attendees through his process of breaking through their limiting beliefs.Tony is not the only life coach out there helping people do this, but he is the only one who uses “The Dickens Pattern.”
- FranklinCovey: FranklinCovey walks clients through a series roadmaps to help them meet their critical goals. Again, there are a ton of other companies out there doing similar work with their clients. But FranklinCovey is the only one using “The 4 Disciplines of Execution.”
I have a unique branded system (UBS) as well. I call it my Sizzle A.C.T.I.O.N. Program. The word “action” is an acronym for the 6 steps in my process of helping small business owners move from where they are, to where they want to be in the marketplace. Sure, there are other marketers out there that have their own process, but this one is mine. And no one else can do it the way I do it. It’s a very powerful differentiator.
When you develop your UBS you instantly differentiate yourself from your competitors—especially if you trademark it. The best part? Creating a UBS is easier than you might think it is. You just need someone to walk you through how to do it. And that’s exactly what you’ll get if you become a member of SizzleForce Marketing Club. Join now for just $47/month to get immediate access to this powerful course with step-by-step instructions along with 15 other must-take marketing courses.
2. Discover your niche.
Anyone who has worked with me (or talked to me) knows that I am a huge fan of niching. This is absolutely the quickest way to double, triple, even quadruple your income.
Here are two examples of former clients who I helped discover their niches:
- Kellye runs a business called The Center For Family Unity. When I met her, she was a therapist who worked with anyone – couples, blended families, children, etc. She had become just one of many therapists in San Diego. She was stuck in the “me too” category. But after digging into what she was really passionate about and really good at, we identified her niche – blended families counseling. By setting her apart from her competition in this way, we were able to rapidly increase her ranking on Google, attract new business and even write a book.
- Rebecca is a Life Coach. When I met her, she was the Life Coach who coached anyone and everyone. As a result of the work we did together, we identified her niche as well. Once Rebecca started marketing herself as a life and business coach for Christian women entrepreneurs, her business skyrocketed.
When you identify your niche, you automatically set yourself apart in the marketplace. And because of that, you can command a higher fee for your products/services. Want help identifying your niche? Get complimentary access to my free training “The Riches Are In The Niches” now.
3. Add An Unexpected Twist To Your Offer
Most companies do what’s expected. Only a few dare to be surprising or shocking. But surprising and shocking twists are exactly what often sets you apart and makes you memorable.
The DoubleTree Hotel wins the hearts of their customers every day by offering them a warm cookie when checking in. But keep in mind, it’s not just a cookie. It’s a message about how committed they are to customer happiness.
Here’s what they say on their website about it.
This is an ideal example of how a differentiator that costs so little can do so much.
Think this is only something for the big brands to do? Think again. Smart small brands do this all the time, too. For example, The Chocolate Chip Notary brings fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies to your home or business every time she shows up to notarize your documents. And Rita the housekeeper differentiates herself by delivering her famous homemade Italian meatballs every time she comes to clean. What can you offer?
4. Create an irresistible brand promise.
One of the best examples I’ve seen of this is Domino’s brand promise: “We deliver your pizza in 30 minutes or it’s free.” There is absolutely no question of what you can expect and what you’ll get if the promise isn’t met. They started using this brand promise in their marketing years ago when most pizza places took forever to deliver pizza—so this promise really differentiated them in the marketplace. The result? Business skyrocketed.
Differentiating your company in a crowded market does not have to be complicated, but sometimes you may find you just need a little guidance. When you join SizzleForce Marketing Club today, you’ll get immediate access to trainings that will give you step-by-step support as you create your brand promise, your unique branded system and so much more. Check it out now.